Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 3/7/2014 Younger Skin Cancer Survivors May Be at Risk for Other Cancers Large study followed patients with nonmelanoma skin cancer for 6 years... Read More
- 3/5/2014 Surgery May Benefit Younger Prostate Cancer Patients Study adds fodder to the operate vs. 'watch and wait' debate... Read More
- 3/4/2014 Yoga May Help Breast Cancer Patients During Radiation Therapy Study found it lowered levels of stress hormones, reduced fatigue, improved quality of life... Read More
- 3/4/2014 Study Adds to Evidence That HPV Vaccine Helps Guard Against Cervical Cancer Large population of Australian women were protected to some degree after vaccination, researchers report... Read More
- 3/3/2014 Experimental Drug Helps Body Fight Advanced Melanoma: Study Some patients kept disease at bay for more than a year after last dose of nivolumab... Read More
- 2/27/2014 Late-Stage Cancer Diagnosis More Likely in Uninsured Teens, Young Adults Those lacking health coverage are often male, black or Hispanic and from the South, study finds... Read More
- 2/26/2014 Study Sees No Evidence Linking Diabetes Drugs With Pancreatic Cancer But FDA assessment calls for further look at injectable type-2 treatments... Read More
- 2/26/2014 Skin Cancer May Have Driven Evolution of Black Skin Researchers note that Africans without any dark pigment often die young of the disease... Read More
- 2/26/2014 Necks, Butts Growth Areas for U.S. Plastic Surgeons More than 15 million cosmetic surgeries and minimally invasive procedures performed in 2013... Read More
- 2/24/2014 Healthy Adults Shouldn't Take Vitamin E, Beta Carotene: Expert Panel Jury still out on whether multivitamins prevent cancer or heart disease, task force says... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.