Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 2/26/2015 Gene Mutations Tied to Leukemia Rise With Age, Study Finds But just having cancer-linked DNA doesn't mean the disease will develop, study authors stressed... Read More
- 2/24/2015 Colon Cancer's Location May Be Factor in Survival Poorer outcome seen in study when tumor began on the organ's right side... Read More
- 2/24/2015 Did PSA Test's Decline Spur Rise in Prostate Cancers? Researchers report 3 percent annual rise in intermediate- and high-risk cases... Read More
- 2/24/2015 Farydak Approved for Multiple Myeloma Blood cancer kills more than 10,000 Americans annually... Read More
- 2/23/2015 Testicular Cancer May Raise Prostate Cancer Risk: Study But it's too soon to make any recommendations, and overall risk is low, researcher says... Read More
- 2/23/2015 Watch-and-Wait Strategy May Be Riskier for Certain Prostate Cancers Study found lower survival for intermediate-risk disease, compared to low-risk cases... Read More
- 2/20/2015 Think Hookahs Filter Out Tobacco Toxins? Think Again Study finds the popular water pipes do not rid smoke of heavy metals... Read More
- 2/19/2015 More Americans Surviving Cancer Today Than 20 Years Ago Study shows biggest improvements in people diagnosed between ages 50 and 64... Read More
- 2/19/2015 Are Too Many Prostate Cancer Patients Receiving Treatment? Study also raises concerns about possible overuse of radiation therapy... Read More
- 2/19/2015 Mammogram Rates May Fall When Women Learn of 'Overdiagnosis' Risk Study found patients were more reluctant to undergo the screen if told it often caught less harmful disease... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.