Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 5/22/2015 Can Asthma Protect Men From Prostate Cancer? New research finds an association, but doesn't prove cause and effect... Read More
- 5/21/2015 Smoking Rates Continue to Drop in Many States: CDC But some people are using alternative tobacco products in addition to cigarettes... Read More
- 5/21/2015 Too Few Younger, High-Risk Americans Get a Colonoscopy: Study Those with a family history of disease should have screening at age 40, but only 38 percent do... Read More
- 5/20/2015 Family History of Breast Cancer Doesn't Worsen Patient's Prognosis: Study Over roughly six years, no difference seen in survival... Read More
- 5/20/2015 Chemo Before Surgery May Boost Outcomes for Advanced Ovarian Cancer Shrinking the tumor beforehand seems to raise quality of life without shortening survival, study finds... Read More
- 5/19/2015 Rural Poor Bear Higher Burden of COPD, Study Finds Reasons aren't clear, but workplace exposures and fuel sources might play a role, researchers say... Read More
- 5/19/2015 Smoking May Make Return of Lung Cancer More Likely Study found chance of recurrence rose 1 percent for each additional pack of cigarettes smoked each year... Read More
- 5/19/2015 Most Americans Still Not Using Sunscreen Women do so more than men, but still fall short of recommendations, CDC study finds... Read More
- 5/18/2015 Parents of Child Cancer Patients Prefer Honesty, Study Finds Parents say they're less anxious, better able to plan... Read More
- 5/17/2015 Prostate Cancer Testing Drops Off After Controversial Guidelines More men will die without PSA screening, researchers contend; other experts applaud the downward trend... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.