Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 10/20/2016 Monitoring, Not Treatment, May Be Better for Some Prostate Cancer Patients In Sweden, 90 percent with very low risk disease choose this option instead of immediate treatment, researchers report... Read More
- 10/19/2016 Even for Men at High Risk, Healthy Living May Help Prevent Colon Cancer Many lives could be saved if people avoided alcohol and smoking, ate better and stayed active, researchers report... Read More
- 10/19/2016 New Treatment Approved for Soft-Tissue Cancers Malignancies that develop in muscles, fat, tendons and blood vessels... Read More
- 10/18/2016 Rates of Preventive Mastectomy Doubled in a Decade, and Fear Is a Factor Many patients also think it's the best treatment for breast cancer, study finds... Read More
- 10/17/2016 Are Fewer Cervical Cancer Screenings Needed After HPV Vaccine? Less testing could reduce risk of false positives and save money, researchers say... Read More
- 10/17/2016 Little Gains in Efforts to Boost Outpatient Care Large analysis finds declines or stagnation in many basic health measures... Read More
- 10/14/2016 Smokeless Tobacco Product Tied to Higher Risk of Prostate Cancer Death Safety of snus use called into question... Read More
- 10/14/2016 More Evidence Linking Obesity to Liver Cancer And type 2 diabetes more than doubles the odds, researchers say... Read More
- 10/13/2016 Breast Cancer Deaths Continue to Decline in U.S. And the disparity between black and white women is narrowing, CDC says... Read More
- 10/13/2016 Can Hormonal Rx for Prostate Cancer Raise Dementia Risk? Study found chances doubled, but did not prove androgen deprivation caused damage to brain... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.