Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 5/1/2015 Can Statins Help Lower Lung Cancer Death Risk? Small reduction seen with cholesterol-lowering drugs, but study couldn't prove cause-and-effect link... Read More
- 5/1/2015 Fitness May Help Lower Odds for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Intense physical activity throughout life was linked to a 30 percent reduction in risk, study suggests... Read More
- 5/1/2015 Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy as Good as Full Breast Removal: Study No differences in survival or recurrence in women who chose to keep nipple, researcher says... Read More
- 4/30/2015 Breast Reconstruction Often Involves Multiple Operations Study finds most breast cancer patients will need two or more procedures to complete process... Read More
- 4/30/2015 Cloudy Climes May Up Risk of Pancreatic Cancer: Study Shortage of vitamin D may be to blame... Read More
- 4/29/2015 Drugs Show Promise for Some Advanced Lung Cancers Two experimental medications target mutation that fuels treatment resistance... Read More
- 4/28/2015 Switch From U.S. to African Diet May Lower Colon Cancer Risk in Blacks Study found more polyps, other markers of colon tumor risk in those eating 'Western' high-fat, low-fiber fare... Read More
- 4/28/2015 Breast-Feeding May Lower Breast Cancer Recurrence, Death: Study Strongest benefit seen in most common types of tumors, researchers say... Read More
- 4/27/2015 Hodgkin's Lymphoma Survivors Face Higher Long-Term Heart Risks Study suggests chemotherapy, radiation can damage the heart for decades to come... Read More
- 4/24/2015 Daily Aspirin Taken by More Than Half of Older U.S. Adults Usage doesn't always comply with national guidelines... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.