Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 10/1/2014 Experimental Cervical Cancer Vaccine Looks Promising in Trial Research suggests the HPV shot could prevent 90 percent of malignancies... Read More
- 10/1/2014 Oncologists' Group Calls for Measures to Curb Obesity-Related Cancers Better screening and treatments for obesity top to-do list, experts say... Read More
- 9/30/2014 Groups Call for Medicare Coverage of Lung Cancer Screening CT scans for high-risk seniors covered by private insurers, but Medicare not required to do so... Read More
- 9/30/2014 Obesity Tied to Higher Cancer Risk for Colon Cancer Survivors Finding is yet another reason to maintain a healthy weight, experts say... Read More
- 9/30/2014 Herceptin Best for Certain Breast Cancer Patients, Study Says Drug should remain standard of care for HER2-positive tumors, doctors say... Read More
- 9/29/2014 Too Many Heart Scans May Pose Radiation Risks, Cardiologists Say American Heart Association urges doctors to make sure patient understands dangers, test is appropriate... Read More
- 9/29/2014 Drug Gives Big Survival Boost Against Type of Advanced Breast Cancer Women with HER2-positive tumors gained an average 16 more months of life with Perjeta, study finds... Read More
- 9/29/2014 Obese in Adolescence, Colon Cancer in Later Life? Study doesn't prove cause-and-effect, but suggests the need for healthy habits in childhood... Read More
- 9/29/2014 Rat Study Suggests Light at Night Might Hamper Breast Cancer Therapy Tumors in rodents exposed to dim light seemed to develop resistance to a common cancer drug... Read More
- 9/28/2014 Scientists Detect Early Sign of Pancreatic Cancer Finding might lead one day to test for a disease that's hard to detect before advanced stages... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.