Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 5/29/2015 Gene Test May Predict Success of Cancer Drug in Certain Patients Finding might one day help doctors better choose patients to receive Keytruda, study says... Read More
- 5/29/2015 Immune-Based Drug Shows Promise Against Advanced Lung Cancer Patients given nivolumab reported fewer side effects, longer survival than those receiving usual chemo agent... Read More
- 5/29/2015 Excess Weight Linked to Worse Prostate Cancer Prognosis Radiation less effective for overweight, obese men, researchers say... Read More
- 5/28/2015 Bigger Share of Deaths Worldwide Now Due to Cancer Throat, lung cancers were leading cause of deaths, study finds... Read More
- 5/27/2015 Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Odds of Uterine Cancer Women who followed it most closely saw significant reduction in risk, study suggests... Read More
- 5/27/2015 Helpful Bacteria May Help Detect Cancers That Have Spread to Liver Researchers used harmless strain of E. coli to find metastatic disease in mice... Read More
- 5/26/2015 Immune-Based Therapy Uses Virus to Fight Advanced Melanoma Study shows it helped a minority of patients, and experts say this approach has promise... Read More
- 5/22/2015 Can Asthma Protect Men From Prostate Cancer? New research finds an association, but doesn't prove cause and effect... Read More
- 5/21/2015 Smoking Rates Continue to Drop in Many States: CDC But some people are using alternative tobacco products in addition to cigarettes... Read More
- 5/21/2015 Too Few Younger, High-Risk Americans Get a Colonoscopy: Study Those with a family history of disease should have screening at age 40, but only 38 percent do... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.