Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 4/24/2014 FDA Approves HPV Test as Initial Screen for Cervical Cancer Detects presence of high-risk strains of virus believed to cause disease... Read More
- 4/23/2014 Aspirin's Ability to Prevent Colon Cancer May Depend on Your Genes Benefit was seen only with enzyme present, but study isn't definitive... Read More
- 4/23/2014 People With Kidney Disease Show Higher Cancer Risk in Study More research is needed to understand the link, experts say... Read More
- 4/23/2014 People Seek Out Health Info When Famous Person Dies Survey found Steve Jobs' death in 2011 spurred Americans to learn more about pancreatic cancer... Read More
- 4/21/2014 False-Positive Mammograms Don't Deter Women From Future Screening: Study While most experienced short-term anxiety, it was gone within a year, researchers say... Read More
- 4/18/2014 So-Called 'Apple Shape' Not a Risk Factor for Breast Cancer: Study Overweight, not waist size, was tied to higher odds of developing disease in older women... Read More
- 4/17/2014 FDA Warns Against Procedure for Uterine Fibroids 'Laparoscopic power morcellation' may increase women's cancer risk, agency says... Read More
- 4/17/2014 Quarter of Prostate Cancer Patients May Abandon 'Watchful Waiting' Approach European study tracked how many men came back for regular checkups over 13 years... Read More
- 4/16/2014 Placing Donor Windpipe First in Patient's Arm Helps With Transplant Technique allows withdrawal of anti-rejection drugs after a year... Read More
- 4/16/2014 Cancer 'Vaccine' for Advanced Disease Passes Early Hurdle But research is still in preliminary stages and there's no proof it will work... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.