Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 8/27/2014 Polyp Removal Doesn't Always Signal Raised Colon Cancer Risk, Study Says Findings suggest doctors may repeat colonoscopies unnecessarily... Read More
- 8/27/2014 Light Therapy a Good Option for Pre-Cancerous Skin Lesions, Study Says But it's more painful, time consuming than common treatment, dermatologist notes... Read More
- 8/25/2014 Hospital Admission Day Tied to Outcomes for Children With Leukemia Those admitted on weekend after first diagnosis have more complications, study finds... Read More
- 8/21/2014 Fewer U.S. Teens Using Sunscreen, Study Finds Warnings about sun exposure and skin cancer aren't getting through, experts say... Read More
- 8/20/2014 Many Women Who Have Mastectomy Don't Get Breast Reconstruction: Study Most were satisfied with their decision, researchers noted... Read More
- 8/20/2014 High-Risk Melanomas Often on Head or Neck, Study Finds Rate of cell growth may be a key to diagnosis and treatment, an expert says... Read More
- 8/20/2014 Botox Tested on Stomach Cancer in Mice Preliminary research suggests the wrinkle treatment might silence critical nerves that support tumors... Read More
- 8/18/2014 Study: Many Seniors Get Unnecessary Cancer Tests Screening shouldn't be done when patients have less than a 10-year life expectancy, researchers say... Read More
- 8/18/2014 HPV Vaccine Protects Against Infection 8 Years Out: Study Doctors continue to urge parents to get the recommended three doses for their preteens... Read More
- 8/15/2014 Exercise Helps Protect Black Women From Breast Cancer, Study Says Research confirms findings previously noted for whites... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.