Cancer Care Services
Our community needs top quality cancer care. At the SOMC Cancer Center, we provide that care with a state-of-the-art cancer center, the latest in cancer-fighting technology and procedures, experienced staff and board-certified doctors. We’re saving lives with increasing capabilities, education about prevention, and screenings to help us detect cancer earlier.
Cancer In the News
- 5/23/2013 Modified Polio Virus May Help Fight Brain Tumors, Study Suggests Treatment is harmless to normal cells but attacks cancer cells; finding is preliminary, researchers say... Read More
- 5/23/2013 Scientists Can't Replicate Surprising Finding on Alzheimer's Treatment Skin cancer drug had no effect on brain plaques in mice, three separate research teams report... Read More
- 5/23/2013 Chronic Heartburn May Raise Odds for Throat Cancer: Study But simple antacids appear to lower the risk, researchers report... Read More
- 5/22/2013 CT Scans Reduce Lung Cancer Deaths, Study Confirms But questions remain about widespread screening... Read More
- 5/22/2013 American Cancer Society Celebrates 100 Years of Progress One million cancer deaths avoided since 1990s, group says... Read More
- 5/22/2013 Children Who Have CT Scans May Face Higher Cancer Risk Those exposed before age 5 are most vulnerable, study finds... Read More
- 5/21/2013 Age, Other Illnesses May Make Prostate Cancer Treatment Unnecessary For older patients with hypertension, heart failure, different problems will likely cause death, study finds... Read More
- 5/21/2013 Study Supports Using Low-Dose CT Scans to Spot Early Lung Cancer But expert notes questions about frequency remain... Read More
- 5/21/2013 Racial Disparities Seen in U.S. Lung Cancer Treatment Blacks less likely, Hispanics more likely than whites to undergo surgery as early treatment, study shows... Read More
- 5/20/2013 Newer, Pricier Prostate Cancer Radiation No Better Than Old: Study Researchers looked at men who had the therapy after surgery... Read More
The Mark of Quality
We are the first cancer facility in the region to achieve the prestigious ACR accreditation in radiation oncology. We have also been granted the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACoS) approval with commendation in seven areas. This three-year accreditation is the highest level of recognition offered by the commission.
As part of Southern Ohio Medical Center, we also participate in The Joint Commission surveys and have received full accreditation.
Introducing Clinical Trails
SOMC is now introducing new clinical research supported by The National Cancer Institute.