Be a Volunteer at SOMC
SOMC is a dynamic and exciting place where you can meet new people, make new friends and be part of a team that's committed to making a fundamental difference in the health of those we serve.
What Will I Do as a Volunteer?
The Volunteer Services program at SOMC offers many opportunities to men, women and teens to make a personal contribution toward the comfort and well being of our patients through direct contact with the patients or by supplementing the staff in many areas.
Some benefits of being an SOMC volunteer include:
- Convenient work hours
- Complimentary meals
- Free flu vaccination
- Invitations to special events and professional seminars
- Opportunity to acquire new skills or brush up on old ones
- Scholarships offered through Friends of SOMC to area students who are family members of employees or volunteers
- Annual Awards and Recognition Banquet
- Reduced rates at the LIFE Center
Some of the assignments that volunteers may assume are:
- Staff the Surgery Waiting Rooms, helping families of patients
- Assist staff on nursing units
- Help in Outpatient Clinics
- Work in Medical Records
- Assist in the Gift Shop with sales and operation
- Work at the LIFE Center
- Visit patients, reading or talking to them
- Answer phones and assist visitors and patients at the Information Desks
- Receive and deliver patient flowers
- Sort and deliver mail daily and forward mail to discharged patients
- Serve as Receptionists in various departments
- Aid offices in clerical areas such as typing or filing
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
If you would like to contribute your time and talent, fill out this form and it will be sent to the Volunteer office.
The Volunteer Services department is located on the ground floor of the Main Campus. Hours of operation are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
Volunteer Services can be reached by telephone at (740) 356-8236 or (740) 356-8234 . You can also reach us by FAX at (740) 356-6215.