Gastric Emptying Study
- Documenting the presence and quantitating the severity of gastric motor disorders.
- Documenting the patient's response to drug therapy in known cases of abnormal gastric emptying.
500 uCi Tc 99m sulfur colloid in scrambled eggs
- Patient should be NPO for at least six hours prior to the examination. The abdomen should be free of any barium. The patient should not smoke for two hours prior to the exam.
- Patient cooperation is essential to a good examination. Examination takes minimum of two hours patient time.
- Mix 500 uCi Tc 99m sulfur colloid in a bowl with uncooked scrambled eggs and microwave until cooked. Have patient eat this meal. The patient may drink 6 oz of water and or juice if desired.
- Place patient supine under camera
- Patient may be brought back to the department for delayed images if desired.
For a consultation, please call
The staff of nuclear medicine is available for consultation from 6:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday.