Renal Scan, Ace Inhibition
- Evaluation of renovascular hypertension.
- Patients with an initial blood pressure of less than 140 mm/Hg should not receive ACE inhibition. Hypotension with serious consequences may occur.
- 99m Tc MAG-3 (10 mCi) intravenously, 2 mCi baseline
- 8-mCi ACE inhibition scans
- Enalaprilat (Vasotec) 0.04 mg/kg (2.5 mg maximum)
- Furosemide (Lasix) 40 mg
- Patient should have blood pressure meds discontinued 24-48 hours prior to scan.
- Patient should be properly hydrated.
- Establish an intravenous infusion of normal saline at the rate of 4 ml/min.
- Blood pressure monitored to assure systolic pressure above 140 mm/Hg. Blood pressure to be monitored and recorded every five minutes post injection of Vasotec and continued monitoring for 30 min per Registered Nurse.
- Registered nurse must administer the following medications.
- Administer IV 0.04 mg/kg enalaprit (Vasotec) with a maximum dose of 2.5 mg then wait ten minutes.
- Begin ACE inhibition scan. Inject 8 mCi 99m Tc MAG-3 followed immediately by 40 mg Furosemide (Lasix).
For a consultation, please call
The staff of nuclear medicine is available for consultation from 6:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday.