Who we are
Our community is full of people who dedicate their time and service toward philanthropic causes. With the help of our community, SOMC Employees and volunteers, we have been able to support many projects.
At the SOMC Development Foundation, our mission is to make a difference by identifying the community’s health and wellness needs while bridging the gap between those needs and the cost of the solutions. The SOMC Development Foundation encompasses fundraising efforts for Hospice, Cancer, Employee Relief, Heart & Vascular, Pediatrics, Community Health and Wellness, the Endowment Fund and the areas of greatest need. These funds generate much needed support and enable SOMC to continually deliver extraordinary care for future generations to come. We consider it our responsibility to serve our community, and we take pride in doing so.
We’re here to make a difference in our community. Our goal is to help provide much needed resources that will help sustain the needs of our community members.
We encompass fundraising efforts to help support the initiatives throughout Southern Ohio Medical Center and our community. This support ranges from the purchase of new equipment & technology to upgrading facilities as well as other community projects that engage our community’s health and wellness needs. Support and funds raised by the Development Foundation enable SOMC to respond to challenges and new opportunities as they arise.
President and CEO Chief Development Officer
Phone: (740) 356-8338
The need for support
For community hospitals all across the country, the importance of fundraising has been emphasized by external factors: healthcare costs are rising, the uninsured/under insured population remains large, the payer mix is poor, federal reimbursement is dwindling and the cost of medical technology is high. At SOMC, we offer programs and services that patients need but our community’s health and wellness needs continue to grow – we need your help in meeting these new needs.
- SOMC Inpatient Hospice Center
- Friends Community Center
- SOMC Life Centers
- SOMC Newborn Nursery
- End-of-life wishes for hospice patients
- Electronic cats for hospice Alzheimer patients
- A care pantry for cancer patients
- Genetic counseling for cancer patients
- Car seats for children in need
- The SOMC Hospice dog, Ray
- Hand massages for patients going through chemotherapy
- SOMC Hospice expansion and renovation
- Perinatal Bereavement Kits, pamphlets, books, keepsake impressions, keepsake memory box, photo access and burial outfits for mothers and their families who have unfortunately experienced a perinatal loss
- A dietitian for cancer patients
- President – Sandy Cable
- Vice President – Joann Hall
- Secretary – Joyce White
- Treasurer – Bonnie Riddlebarger
Total Amount Raised in FY18: $34,513.46
Total Amount Donated in FY18: $46,092.00
Fundraisers in FY18: Books Are Fun Sale and Scioto Shoe Mart In-Store Shoe Sale
- President – Karen Wood
- Vice President – Eloise White
- Secretary – Merrill Wood
- Treasurer – Rose Havens
Total Amount Raised in FY18: $7,453.36
Total Amount Donated in FY18: $14,058.15
Fundraisers in FY18: It’s In the Bag In-Store Sale, Scrub Central Scrub Sale, Jewelry Extravaganza Sale, Mary Kay Cosmetic Sale
- President – Diane Applegate
- Vice President – Betsy Suber
- Treasurer – Katie Shirey
- Secretary – Megan Gleadle
Total Amount Raised in FY18: $11,621.37
Total Amount Donated in FY18: $7,645.99
Fundraisers in FY18: Linen Sales, Polar Express, Mary’s Spirit Shop In-Store Sale, Wreath Sale, Bippity Boppity Pink
- President – Mary Moore
- Vice President – Shelby Powell
- Secretary – Elaine Lytten
- Treasurer – Georgene Bussey
Total Amount Raised in FY18: $6,440.38
Total Amount Donated in FY18: $12,700.00
Fundraisers in 2015: Thirty One, Sweet Sale, Scentsy, Masquerade, Popcorn Sale, LulaRoe
- President – Linda Browne
- Vice President – Carol Davis
- Secretary – Mary Harold
- Treasurer – Betty Applegate
Total Amount Raised in FY18: $7,573.86
Total Amount Donated in FY18: $8,000.00
Fundraisers in FY18: Annual Flower Sale
- President – Karen Evans
- Vice President – Saundra Wheeler
- Secretary – Ruth Logan
- Treasurer – Shelby Powell
- Assistant Treasurer – Joanne Winters
Total Amount Raised in FY18: $3,085.09
Total Amount Donated in FY18: $2,500.00
Fundraisers in FY18: Rada Sale, Wall to Wall In-Store Sale, PatterFam Sauces
- 2019 Fiscal Year Annual Report
- 2018 Fiscal Year Annual Report
- 2017 Fiscal Year Annual Report
- 2015 Annual Report
The SOMC Development Foundation is proud to be supported by a dedicated board comprised of various community leaders.
Learn how your organization can be recognized during upcoming SOMC events.
By becoming a Community Partner or Community Champion of the SOMC Development Foundation, you are able to sponsor up to nine unique events.
Give to Hospice
Since it first opened in 2008, the SOMC Inpatient Hospice Center has operated on the idea that expectations for end-of-life care should not be met – instead, they should be transcended. With your help, we can extend that level of care to more families than ever.
Hear firsthand how the SOMC Development Foundation is making a difference for families and patients in our area.
Where Can You Donate?
Donations to the SOMC Development Foundation support a number of funds, including Hospice, Cancer, Employee Relief, Heart & Vascular, Pediatrics, Community Health and Wellness, the areas of greatest need and the Endowment.