Southern Ohio Medical Center encourages individuals of all ages to include physical activity into his or her daily routine. We recommend following the American Heart Association guidelines of 150 minutes of physical activity each week. While this may seem like a lot, health benefits can be made by doing as little as 10 minute segments at a time.
Be physically active
- Adults: Get at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity each week (or a combination of these), preferably spread throughout the week.
- Children and teens: Get at least 1 hour of moderate or vigorous intensity activity each day, with vigorous activity on at least 3 days each week.
- Limit sedentary behavior such as sitting, lying down, watching TV, and other forms of screen-based entertainment.
- Doing some physical activity above usual activities, no matter what one’s level of activity, can have many health benefits.
Don’t think that physical activity has to happen in a gym or be unbearable. Find something you like to do and look forward to doing. Some ideas are:
- Walking a pet
- Bike riding
- Playing with your children or grandchildren
- Water aerobics
- Group fitness class
- Exercise video or DVD
- Weight lifting
- Take the “long way around”
- Take the stairs at every opportunity
- Join a team sport
Exercise can be modified for anyone, regardless of physical limitations or injuries. Contact the LIFE Center at 740.356.7650 for information on classes, gym membership or additional information.
Healthy Habits is a course offered by SOMC to help our community members adopt healthy life-style changes. This comprehensive program focuses on nutrition, physical activity, stress management, mindfulness, and more. Each session is conducted as a mini-support group and participants share ideas surrounding the weekly topic. The program helps adults achieve and maintain healthy lifestyle choices through educational materials, engaging onsite sessions, and group support at the worksite and other places throughout the community. For more information, please contact Community Health at 740.356.2552.
If your goal is to lose weight, increase muscle tone, run a race or to improve your overall health – a Personal Trainer can design the perfect program for you. We customize an exercise plan for your specific ability and goals, tracking your progress as we go along to make sure you get the best results.
If you are looking to gain maximum results from exercise consider Personal Training. All LIFE Center Trainers have a 4 year degree in a fitness related field and/or a Certification in Personal Training from a nationally recognized agency. Trainers can customize workouts for any person of any ability and work one on one to motivate you to achieve your goals.
Personal Training is available at any LIFE Center. Packages are offered in 1, 5, or 10 hour blocks. Non-members can also use our trainers. Non-member rates are 20% above member rates. To schedule an appointment, call 740.356.7572. Click here to see more about a Personal trainer.
Personal Fitness Consultation
This consultation is with an Exercise Physiologist, Personal Trainer or an Athletic Trainer and includes:
- Review of your medical history
- Evaluation of your current fitness level
- Review of your fitness goals
- Personalized exercise program and instruction
- This is the best way to assure you are exercising a safe manner and are following a program that will produce results.
Recommendations for health improvement and discussion on ways to attain goals are offered, including physical activity and nutrition information. Contact the SOMC LIFE Center at 740.356.7572to schedule an appointment
Performance Enhancement Center (PEC)
Athletes can improve their game in any sport working with Brad Zieber. Brad is a Certified Performance Enhancement Specialist who is trained in Functional Movement screenings. PEC utilizes the training tools and techniques that professional athletes use. The program features:
- Seven point functional movement screen to identify muscular imbalances and deficiencies and prevent injuries from training
- Athletic assessments to test to speed, agility, body composition, flexibility, balance, and strength
- Training programs based on evaluations to promote strength, power, endurance, and speed
- Challenging programs to build lasting performance
- Sport specific exercise training
- High speed treadmill training
- Ongoing evaluation to assure measurable results are attained
Cost is $250 for a 6 week session. Discounts available for multiple athletes or teams training together. Please call 740.356.7572 for further details.