As an occupational medicine resource, Southern Ohio Medical Center delivers prompt treatment to your injured worker and regular communication with employers, employees, managed care organizations, third party administrators and health plans. With a focus on safe and early return to work, our injury management administrators will deliver high quality, cost effective care.
As always, walk in service at our Portsmouth Urgent Care Center is on the South Campus or Wheelersburg Urgent Care Center is available. We also have our Waverly Urgent Care Center as well.
WorkWell services include:
- Convenient, specialized treatment centers in Scioto County
- Physicians and staff dedicated to occupational medicine, work site injuries and illness care
- A centralized case manager who coordinates services provided at designated emergent care locations for WorkWell clients
- Detailed case management, injury tracking and follow-up care
- Specialty services through Southern Ohio Medical Center referral provider network
- Communication with you and your MCO, TPA or HPA about your worker’s health status
- Assistance with workers’ compensation paperwork as requested
- Assistance with worker placement and return-to-work planning
- Transitional work programs to ensure a safe and timely return to work
Rehabilitation is a crucial link for a timely and safe return to work. The goals of Southern Ohio Medical Center’s Industrial Rehabilitation Program are to restore an injured worker’s level of physical performance so he or she can safely return to work and to minimize the risk of re injury. Case management of the injury or illness continues through rehabilitation.
Industrial Rehabilitation assists with pre and post injury management. Our team of professionals works together with employer, employee and other providers to design an individualized return-to-work plan.
Industrial rehabilitation services include:
- Education programs including back care, body mechanics and more
- Job site analysis
- Ergonomic assessments
- Pre-placement screens
- Acute injury treatment
- Work conditioning
- Transitional work
- Work simulation/hardening
- Functional capacity evaluations
The Occupational Medicine staff conducts employee examinations with sensitivity and confidentiality. We understand the mandated examination requirements of regulatory agencies, and help you adhere to those standards.
Physical exams can be tailored to your company’s specific needs. With expedient examination results and attention to detail, the Occupational Medicine Department’s physical exams are an excellent value.
Independent commercial vehicle operators or companies who employ drivers needing Department of Transportation (DOT) certification can take advantage of our DOT examination services.
Examination services include:
- Customized pre-placement of post-offer examinations
- Customized executive physical examinations
- OSHA examinations (lead surveillance, respirator clearance, asbestos, chromium, etc.)
- Department of Transportation (DOT) examinations.
- Independent medical examinations
- Fitness-for-duty or second opinion examinations
- On site services as arranged
SOMC recognizes the relationship between substance abuse and work-related injuries. That’s why we offer testing services as well as drug-free workplace programs and education for both employers and employees. The Occupational Medicine Department’s program honors confidentiality and delivers quick results, and confirms to the policies of the Bureau of Worker’s Compensation. Drug and alcohol services include:
- DOT (Department of Transportation), non-DOT and FAA drug screens
- Any other type of drug screen
- Breath alcohol testing
- Blood alcohol testing
- Random selection process
- Supervisor training on detection of alcohol and drug abuse in the workplace
Types of drug screening available:
- Post-accident and post-incident
- Reasonable suspicion
- Return to work
The laboratory used by Occupational Medicine for collection and processing is certified by the National Laboratory Certification Program (SAMHSA/NIDA). The laboratory identifies and confirms the presence of a wide variety of drugs using the latest instrumentation and technology. Its testing expertise includes emergency toxicology, clinical analysis for prescribed medications, research analysis, biological monitoring and drugs-of-abuse testing.
Our certified Medical Review Officer examines each laboratory result with impartiality and accuracy. This specialized interpretation focuses on drug testing only, ensuring other details of the employee’s medical history remain confidential. With a Medical Review Officer interpretation, employers also receive legal backup.
Our breath alcohol testing uses an Evidential Breath Testing (BET) device approved by the National Highway Safety Administration. Drug and alcohol testing is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Employees who test positive will be referred to the employer’s designated Employee Assistance Program or to a substance abuse professional for follow-up care.
Spirometry is the most common of the pulmonary function tests (PFTs), measuring lung function, specifically the amount (volume) and/or speed (flow) of air that can be inhaled and exhaled. Spirometry is an important tool used for generating pneumotachographs, which are helpful in assessing conditions such as asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, and COPD.
Any time a healthcare program can be brought to your workplace, you’re likely to save money. You also make a strong statement about your commitment to a safe and healthy work environment. The Occupational Medicine Department can deliver customized services at your worksite such as:
- Physician time for medical care, health program development and review of health policies
- Placement of nurses and allied health professionals
- Nursing/case management services
- Screening and testing services
- Prevention and wellness education activities
- Immunizations for flu, hepatitis, tetanus, tuberculosis and more
- Ergonomic analysis
- Back safety education
- Corporate SOMC LIFE Center Employee Wellness service
- Jobsite analysis and job description review
As employers are taking charge of the health of their employees and the work environment, Occupational Medicine is available to help with preventive health programs including workplace safety and injury prevention.
From fitness programs to stress management classes, smoking cessation to self-care, we can meet your needs through the health, fitness, and wellness resources of the SOMC LIFE Center.
Together, we can design a program that is meaningful to you and your employees.
Health and wellness offerings include:
- Memberships in the state-of-the-art SOMC LIFE Center
- Wellness classes or health fairs promoting self-care, good health habits and disease prevention
- Smoking cessation, stress management and weight control programs
- Women’s health, cancer prevention and heart-healthy living programs
- Workplace safety and injury prevention
- Back safety, education and training
- The Corporate Get-A-Life Program
Employee Assistance Program and behavioral health care management
We all have problems at one time or another that we can’t handle on our own. SOMC’s Employee Assistance Program provides confidential support for your employee’s job-related or off-the-job issues.
SOMC LIFE Center
Members of the SOMC LIFE Center participate in programs that focus on fitness, prevention and behavior modification, including stress reduction, smoking cessation and weight management. With a pool, an indoor track, a gymnasium, massage therapy, exercise classes and top-of-the-line exercise equipment, the mission makes the SOMC LIFE Center different from any commercial fitness center right from the start. Memberships, lifestyle classes, or Corporate Get-A-Life services for your employees or executives are a great way to promote good health in your company.
The doctors, hospitals and other health professionals who stand behind OhioHealth Group understand what today’s employers want in an HMO, PPO or other managed care health plan – reduced cost without sacrificing quality. Our family of comprehensive health benefit plans offers a true commitment to wellness, with care delivered by top-notch medical professionals, at an affordable cost. It’s a choice you and your employees can feel good about.
Take a look at what we offer. We welcome the opportunity to show you how we can help protect your company’s most valuable asset – your employees.
Occupational Medicine offers medical examinations for adjustments of status or the completion of required examinations for permanent residency of immigrants. The requirements of the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) are numerous and can be demanding. Our knowledgeable staff and highly experienced certified civil surgeon is here to help guide you through this process. We ensure that all USCIS requirements will be met completely and accurately.