Equilibrium Radionuclide Ventriculography (Muga)
- This noninvasive procedure permits the evaluation of cardiac function in every type of cardiac disease and the results of barium therapeutic interventions may be assessed.
- 15-25 mCi 99m Tc red blood cells tagged in-vivo
- Consideration should be given to discontinuing medications such as propranolol 48 hrs; nitroglycerin 2 hrs; and digoxin 7 days, which affect ventricular performance and therefore potentially mask abnormalities when clinically not contraindicated.
- Atrial fibrillation
- Intravenously inject the patient with appropriate amount of cold pyrophosphate.
- Twenty minutes after cold pyrophosphate injection, 25 mCi of 99m technetium is injected intravenously.
- Attach a three-lead ECG gate and electrodes to the patient. Be sure the gate is triggering the computer before proceeding.
For a consultation, please call
The staff of nuclear medicine is available for consultation from 6:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday.