One of the definitions of the word community is, “a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.” Being a community is the center of Southern Ohio Medical Center. SOMC has been a part of the local community for over six decades. All of that time SOMC has continuously served the community to the best of its ability and has put legs to its mission of making a difference by being a very good neighbor, employer, and community supporter. The goals of SOMC encompass the mission and the organization’s strategic values which include achieving and sustaining exceptional results in safety, quality of care, service, teamwork, and financial performance.
As times change, SOMC has stayed true to its values, mission, and community along the way. SOMC continues to exhibit growth without compromise and continues to strive in caring for our community and our patients. The patients of our community deserve the very best. This is what keeps SOMC striving for excellence in all we do. SOMC loves to give back to the community and wants to see our community thrive through hard times and good times. SOMC is an organization that truly brings people together from all backgrounds and that is what community is all about.
Top 10 things to do in Portsmouth
- Portsmouth Murals
- Visit Shawnee State Forest/Lodge (horseback riding, boating, fishing)
- Catch a show at Shawnee State University’s Planetarium & Vern Riffe Center for the Arts
- Explore Boneyfiddle District (antique shops, farmers market, restaurants)
- Southern Ohio Museum and Cultural Center
- Hike the Appalachian foothills (Raven Rock or Shawnee State Forest trails)
- Play a round of golf at the Elks Country Club
- Enjoy our outdoor concerts (Final Friday, Dreamland Music Festival) and festivals/fairs – (Winter Fest, County Fair)
- Visit Earl Thomas Conley Park & Splash pad
- Try an Escape rooms at Deadbolt Escape Rooms & Mysteries and Mr. Boneyfiddle’s Riddle Room
Click on images to enlarge and see credits and description.